Commutable from York, Hull, Pocklington, Beverley, Goole
My client has earned a reputation for safety, reliability, innovation, sustainability and the highest standards of construction and service. They are currently looking for a Product Design Engineer to within a dynamic team based in Selby, UK. As a Design Engineer you will be reporting to the UK Product Engineering Manager and working within the wider European product innovation/sustaining teams. The role includes supporting and liaising with Manufacturing staff, Product Managers, Product Designers, and other members of the management team, as well as external suppliers, based at many different European locations.
Taking on a variety of product engineering projects, including;
- Lead the engineering input to Innovation led projects to provide and implement the engineering solutions to fulfil new product market needs, design concepts and manufacturing requirements.
- Lead the engineering input to product change requests to provide suitable engineering solutions for required enhancements or fixes.
- Lead the engineering input to VA VE projects to optimise manufacturing costs against market, design, user performance and manufacturing requirements.
- Oversee new product prototype builds and pilot runs for your projects.
Working to agreed deadlines, from receiving list of project priorities, liaison, and discussion all parts of the UK and EMEA business. Provide final engineering solutions and documents, including; final CAD 3D model, manufacturing and assembly drawings, information to support ERP data set-up, installation guides and any other supporting information required to release the product to market.
Currently all drawing work is completed in ‘SolidWorks’, although some of our older drawings will be in ‘AutoCAD’ format.
- Competent with SolidWorks is a requirement.
- Competent with AutoCAD is also an advantage, although not essential.
- Competent with PDM/PLM systems is a requirement.
- Competent with the full range of Microsoft Office applications is a requirement.
- Competent with Composer and InDesign software, would be an advantage.
- Competent with ERP systems, would be an advantage.
- Good engineering education to university level.
- Minimum of 5 years direct experience of mechanical engineering work in manufacturing industries.
- Strong knowledge and experience in engineering drawing practices, including how to use and set tolerances, including geometric tolerances and weld symbols.
- Experience of VA VE to ensure engineering solutions are always optimised between performance and cost requirements.
- Experience across multiple industries, preferably including;
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods including welding, sheet metal and tube forming.
- Knowledge of machined components.
- Knowledge of moving mechanisms, including shaft and bearings design.
- Knowledge of materials and engineering design for cast and moulded components, in metal and plastic.
- Good communication skills across all levels of the organisation from factory operatives to senior management and other colleagues based in different country locations across Europe.
- Able to work efficiently with web-based document sharing and meeting applications, such as Microsoft Teams.
- Have good collaborative skills and motivated both by working independently and in a team with a helpful ‘can do’ attitude to your work.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Take responsibility for the product engineering solution performance, ensuring any limitations are clearly communicated and documented.
- Understand the importance of deadlines and set a timetable to manage own workload of multiple tasks/projects, to ensure deadlines are met.
- A dedicated and meticulous approach, with an appreciation and ready assimilation of all product requirements. Good attention to detail.
- Effective and efficient written and verbal communication skills with manufacturing, other colleagues and external suppliers.