Engineering Supervisor - Days
Salary: £42k with excellent employee benefits
Blaenau Gwent Area
Hawk 3 Talent Solutions are looking to recruit an Engineering Supervisor to join our client, a specialist manufacturer in the Blaenau Gwent area. Excellent salary package and progression opportunities for the right candidate.
The Engineering Supervisor will assist the Engineering team in effective maintenance of plant and machinery, co-ordinating all safety checks and driving positive change.
The Engineering Supervisor reports into the Engineering Manager. Other reporting line relationships exist into the Operations Manager who also holds responsibility for engineering performance at Rhymney.
The candidate must be self-motivated, driven and must always lead by example to complete tasks to the highest standards and within all safety aspects.
The main duties and responsibilities will be:
Health & Safety
- Monitor health and safety practices of team members and contractors and challenge unsafe behaviour.
- Assist with driving a positive safety culture by reporting major breaches or blatant disregard for health and safety to the Engineering Manager for investigation.
- Monitoring and accountability of unsafe practices/behaviours
- Hold Daily welcome to work briefings with the team to include safety discussions
- Conducting documented weekly PPE spot checks to ensure PPE is of a suitable condition and worn at all times
- Report any hazards/accidents/incidents/near misses and investigate and take action as required.
- Effective and accurate management of hazards in line with site KPIs. Updating the hazard reporting system when work is completed and to include commentary. Maintain a high level of housekeeping that allows for safe and efficient working throughout the department.
- Segregate waste by the varying waste streams ensuring waste to landfill is minimised and all recyclable wastes are disposed through their appropriate routes, in order that cost savings for waste disposal are maximised.
- Assist with updating and creating new safe working procedures and works instructions where required.
- Manage Contractors ensuring pre-use checks, inductions and audits are conducted.
- Correct issuing and completion of permits for contractors and site based employees.
- Co-ordinate the completion of safety checks in line with legislative and company requirements such as Legionella, Fire Safety and Protection, Emergency lighting, Machinery safety to include emergency stop functionality testing.
Planning & Control
- Take a 'hands on' pro-active approach, and to take an active part in all activities within the department as the need arises.
- Respond effectively to requests from the Divisional Engineering Projects Manager to achieve successful improvements to plant and increase machine efficiency.
- Liaise with the Engineering Manager when planning projects/PPM and support with arranging contractors/additional resource as necessary.
- Obtain quotes for remedial work for approval by General Manager.
- Outside of day hours liaise with other departments on the utilisation of engineering resource to minimise downtime of the plant on the site with the highest priority
- Ensure the accurate completion of timesheets throughout the shift to ensure correct recording of workload and downtime.
- Participate in team discussions to develop effective and constructive solutions to challenges/issues across site.
- Liaising with Site Support to ensure effective management of engineering stock and spares availability.
- Provide out of hours support to the team whereby if needed, a site call is required, overtime will be paid following prior agreement.
- Assist and support in the effective maintenance, installation and removal of all site machinery and relevant facilities.
- Proactively look for improvements for the department to increase efficiency.
- Ensure all Planned Preventative Maintenance is carried out to the required standard and documented.
- Manage each member of the team to able their skill levels meet the required task.
- Maintaining high levels of engagement with team members.
- Motivate and encourage team members to achieve positive performance
- Ensuring all information provided is kept strictly confidential (Data Prot. Act).
Training & Development
- Assist in the management of training by identifying employee skills and needs and arranging training with the Engineering Manager.
- Assist with any difficulties operators or team members may be having, exhibiting an open, friendly approach and showing individuals how to overcome the problems in case of recurrence.
Cover for Engineering Manager as necessary - this will include
- Assist with budget management in engineering
- Maintain day to day engineering manning levels
- Effective people management of engineers on a day to day basis
- Return to work interviews following absence
- Individual counselling for team members for example whereby attendance has lapsed.
- Conduct annual appraisals and health and safety appraisals.
As a 'hands on' pro-active position, the Engineering Supervisor will be expected to take an active part in all activities within the department as the need arises. They will be expected to attend Meetings and contribute constructively for the effective running of departments. They will report to Engineering Manager with any matters that may require further investigation e.g. victimisation, misuse of equipment, breaking company rules etc
The Company has successfully accredited to ISO9001 (Quality), ISO14001 (environmental) and 18001(Health & Safety) and it is a requirement that the Engineering Supervisor has awareness of these Management Systems.
In addition to the above, it is expected that flexibility be maintained so that support can be given as required and as is reasonably practicable to all departments.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A proven track record of successful leadership within a manufacturing organisation
- Experience of day to day running of a manufacturing plant
- Self-motivated with proven experience of developing and motivating employees
- Good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Good written and presentational skills.
- Proven experience of change management and implementation of continuous improvement initiatives to maximise efficiencies and effectiveness of sites.
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Excellent IT skills and the ability to analyse data
Hours: Mon to Friday 7am to 3pm
Salary - Highly competitive plus employee benefits
Hawk 3 Talent are committed to the selection, recruitment and development of the best people, basing judgements solely on suitability for the job. Whilst we endeavour to respond to all applications individually, due to high volumes, this is not always possible. Thank you for your interest in this role and we look forward to working with you in the future
Hawk 3 Talent are operating as an employment agency on behalf of its client.