gap professional are operating as an employment agency on behalf of its client.
Permanent Fibre-Optics Systems Engineer
Salary: £30,000 - £40,000
We are looking for an Optical Systems Engineer with a diverse skill set to join our clients Optics and Fibre Optic R&D team in the Fibre-Optic Manufacturing centre based in Torquay. As part of a global R&D team, you will be working on the development of a range of products such as modules for bio-photonics and life sciences, sub-systems for remote sensing and optical transmissions sub-systems for aerospace applications. The job will involve a range of tasks related to the design, prototype assembly and test of optical, fibre-optic and photonics based sub-systems, typically covering TRL4 to TRL7.
This position requires the individual to have a well-rounded background with a broad knowledge base in fibre-optics, photonics and related technologies. Although you will be working as part of a team, you should be capable of working under your own steam - a self-starter, able to progress projects and trouble-shoot problems with little supervision. The role offers a wide variety of activity, from involvement in initial product concepts, hardware development and customer interaction. If you are looking for a challenging role where you will have a major input to world-leading, innovative products that are marked worldwide, this could be the job for you!
- Design and develop optical and fibre-optic modules and sub-systems.
- Exploit fibre optic and opto-electronic components to develop cutting edge products, working within a multidisciplinary team that includes mechanical and electronic design engineers.
- Active involvement in prototype build - including fibre-optic splicing, mechanical / electrical assembly and opto-electronic test.
- Develop and execute on test plans for functional and environmental verification of photonic components and systems and verify compliance to target specifications.
- Review, assess and create specifications, test procedures, Engineering Change Requests (ERCs), technical reports and other documentation associated with the design, build and test of products.
- Present results clearly and concisely for both internal and external customers.
- Develop strong working links with technical and business experts across the business.
- Deliver technical and management reviews and produce reports resulting from technical activities, executing technical projects an time and under budget.
- Travel expected to be <5% of the time.
Experience, attributes & skills sought:
- Expertise on design and development of fibre-optic and free-space transmission systems (analogue, digital, coherent).
- Knowledge in fibre-optics, photonics and general optics.
- Knowledge with fibre lasers, fibre amplifiers, non-linear optics and laser dynamics
- At least 3 years of relevant industrial experience.
- Hands-on experience building and testing fibre-optic systems or opto-electronic modules.
Closing date is 26th February 2021
gap professional are committed to the selection, recruitment and development of the best people, basing judgements solely on suitability for the job. Whilst we endeavour to respond to all applications individually, due to high volumes, this is not always possible. Thank you for your interest in this role and we look forward to working with you in the future