Commutable from Ipswich, Sudbury, Stowmarket
£35000 - £40000
To be responsible for all aspects of the transport operations, ensuring the effective and efficient arrival/import and on-time distribution of products including any export. To ensure planning and co-ordinating is carried out in the most time and cost efficient way in liaison with relevant departments.
- To ensure that all operations within the transport function are effectively completed to achieve maximum vehicle utilisation, cost effectiveness and that the company service targets are achieved.
- To be responsible for organising the arrival/import and export of the Company's products liaising with agents, carriers, shipping lines etc. to ensure that the Company complies with existing Custom and Excise requirements.
- To be responsible for managing outside haulage contractors/forwarders. To assist with negotiating haulage and spot hire rates, determining performance indicators and levels, achievement against targets etc.
- To monitor and review subcontractors' service performance and to establish new distribution channels to accommodate changing requirements.
- To liaise closely with the Warehouse, Sales, Customer Service and Procurement resources maintaining and developing good inter department relations and communications.
- To ensure that all loads planned have been recorded and dispatch notified at the earliest opportunity to the Warehouse. To ensure all transport documents issued are correct.
- To identify opportunities for cost saving and assist with developing effective solutions to realise them.
- To utilise and update the Rate Matrices and ensure they are used correctly at all times. Any variation must be authorised by the Head of Logistics.
- To investigate and analyse reasons for logistics errors and agree appropriate corrective/ preventative actions with Quality/Technical and other relevant departments.
- To ensure that all key performance indicators (KPIs) and/or objectives set with your Manager are performed effectively and within target and agreed parameters.
- Devise and implement common processes and procedures.
- To participate fully in reviews and team meetings taking responsibility for actions agreed.
- To monitor and continuously improve standards of performance and quality within the job function/department.
- To assist with stock checks when needed and to attend the yearly full stock check if required.
- To adhere to the Company's policies and procedures and ensure that you respect and adhere to these with regard to health and safety, minimisation of waste and care for the environment, equality of opportunity, elimination of discrimination and unfair treatment and prevention of fraud.
- To encourage and pursue a policy of continuous improvement and ensure, through coordination with Management, that departmental procedures and work instructions are maintained, up-dated when necessary and adhered to.
Sound working knowledge of a busy transport environment including import/export
Relevant experience in a logistics planning role including freight forwarding
Self-motivated with excellent interpersonal skills
Highly organised with a high level of work accuracy required
Good written and verbal communication skills
Excellent numeracy skills with IT experience (Microsoft Office, with good Excel knowledge)
Able to make decisions in a pressured/busy environment